Campaigns allow you to send highly targeted messages to segment(s) of your customers, collect and parse their responses, run A/B tests on your copy, and much more! It also allows your engineers to code a campaign once and non-engineers to continuously iterate on copy to improve performance without requiring more development work.
The Campaigns feature can be found in the **Main Menu**.
In the Campaigns modal, you'll see all of the campaigns you or your team has created. This includes drafts, sent and scheduled campaigns, and active campaigns that have not been sent yet. Here, you can:
- Create a new campaign
- Edit a campaign
- View results from a sent campaign
- Send a previous campaign to more customers
- Delete a campaign
For sent campaigns, you'll see the number of customers you've sent the campaign to and the number of responses.
Select **New Campaign** to begin.
Don’t worry about saving… we automatically save your progress for you as you create your campaign. You can exit at any time.
This is where you define your campaign, such as adding a name, description, and the initial copy you want to use.
In the Name field, enter a name that will help you easily identify the campaign. This field is internal and only admins see it.
The Description field is optional and is also internal and only admins can see it.
(Optional) The Slug can be used when sending campaigns via API. Click on the copy icon to copy the slug URL to give to your engineer.
Enter two different text message variants. This is to help increase message deliverability (see below) and great for A/B testing as well.
Click on Save & Continue or the next tab to move onto the next section.
Make sure your two variants are sufficiently different from each other.
Try to personalize messages to the customer. Include properties like customer first name by including:
Be as colloquial as possible, the more machine-like you sound the lower the response rates!
Try to mass message customers after they’ve messaged you, indicating they like text as a channel.
When you have to reach out first, introduce yourself as a person (“Hey, this is Matthew from Sonar” vs “Hey this is Sonar”)
Preview your message and send yourself or others a test message before sending out your campaign. Click on Send Test Message and then enter the mobile phone number. If you click on Preview, you'll see an example of what your message looks like on the right-hand side of the phone image.
Create as many message templates for your campaigns as you need and decide which templates are shared across your team in Sonar.
To prevent you from having to type in the same message over and over again, you can now load them from your saved message templates inside campaigns.
- We will bucket the responses you receive from campaigns. Let us know what type of response you're expecting to receive by selecting one of the following:
- Yes or No
- Number (i.e. 1 - 10) - this is great for NPS scores or collecting feedback.
- Example: “How you would rate our service, from 1-10?"
- Not sure what I'll get (any response)
After the campaign is sent, you will not be able to change the expected response type.
(Optional) If you would like to automatically assign all responses from a campaign to a specific team member or team, click Assign responses to a team member or Assign responses to a team (round-robin). Then, in the drop-down, select the team member or team you would like to assign all responses from the campaign.
(Optional) Under Attach Follow-Up, you can choose to schedule automatic Follow-Ups for the recipients of a Campaign.
The pull-down list will be populated with Follow-Ups you've already created. From the pull-down list, simply select the desired Follow-Up sequence.
Click Save & Continue or click on the next tab to continue with creating your campaign.
This is where you select who your campaign will be sent to. We allow you to segment your customers any way you want based on properties.
Properties must be set for the customer(s) first before you can send a campaign.
Select the customers of who you want to send the campaign to based on their property and value. In the Filter section, either type in the name of the property or click on the drop-down to find the property. Then, either type in the value or click on the drop-down to find the value.
After the property and value has been selected, Sonar will automatically generate the number of customers who match the selected property and value. For example, on this screen, it showed You've selected: 6 customers.
Send to multiple segments of customers by clicking on the adds OR filter.
Click SAVE & CONTINUE or click on the next tab to continue with creating your campaign.
Turning on the “Remove undeliverable customers” flag, will remove those who have previously failed on message delivery and are most likely to fail again. By turning the flag on / off, you’re able to see the total number of people affected for your campaign, before scheduling the campaign.
How the flag works — By turning on the flag, our system reviews all the users already in your selection criteria and filters out the users with the “Delivery Failed” property set. However, we only include a subset of error codes (from our complete list of error codes), as an inclusion criterion. It’s important to not manually change the value for this property for a given user, if you want the exclusion criteria to identify and remove those users.
In the Scheduling tab, you can choose when you would like to send the campaign:
- Save as draft - This campaign isn't ready for the world just yet. We'll save it for you to work on later and prevent anyone from sending it out (including API calls)
- Immediate - Send this campaign out immediately, It will take about 0-3 hours to complete, depending on the number of recipients. (You must set some filters for Who).
- Scheduled - Send this message later, you get to pick when. (You must set some filters for Who).
- Choose a date and time.
- Time zone is dependent on your Company Settings in your Sonar account.
- Activate, but don't send - Maybe you want to send this campaign with the API, maybe you want to send it to individual customers later, or maybe you're going to use this campaign in a way that we didn't expect (we'd love to hear about it). In any case, this campaign is ready for the world, but you don't want us to send it to anyone just yet.
To check out the results of your Sent campaign, click on View Results from the Campaigns modal.
- Sent To - The number of customers you've sent each text message variant to.
- Responses - The number of customers who responded to each text message variant.
- Unsubscribes - The number of customers who unsubscribed from each text message variant.
You can download your customers' responses, by clicking on the Export CSV button.
- If you chose Yes or No, you'll receive a count of customers who responded with "Yes" or "No" with a circle graph.
- If you chose Number, you'll receive a count of customers who responded with a number.
- If you chose "Not sure what I'll get", then you'll receive a word cloud of the responses you've received from a campaign.
Sometimes you want to change or edit the message variants in your campaigns. Here's how you can from the Campaigns modal.
- Click on the Edit button for the Campaign you'd like to make changes to
- In the Define tab, you'll see two message variants with toggle button set to "ON"
- Switch the toggle button to "OFF" for the message variant you want to change or edit.
- Click on **+ Add Variant** to enter a new message variant or the edited version of your message variant.
- Click on **Next** and then **Save & Activate**.
Can I delete a specific message variant of my Campaign?
Because each variant has its analytics in the campaign results section, you're unable to delete variants from an active campaign. However, you can turn off variants by using the toggle above each variant.
How many message variants can I have?
Currently there isn't a limit on the number of message variants you can create.
Why can't I see the results of my campaign?
If the View Results button is grayed out, this is typically an indication that your campaign hasn't received any valid responses yet. We do not count STOP requests in the campaign results.